Session 1: July 6 to 29
Session 2: August 3 to 26
Monday to Friday, 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
PER SESSION: Members $550 / Non-Members $650
DEADLINE FOR REGISTRATION: April 1, 2010
Form (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader)
For the past fifteen
summers, Gotta Sing! Gotta Dance!
has attracted hundreds of enthusiastic and talented participants – many of whom have gone on to successful careers in the performing arts – from throughout British Columbia and as far away as Whitehorse, Edmonton, Regina, Yorkton, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, California, Virginia, Texas, Austria, and Israel.
director and creator of the program is PERRY
EHRLICH, who recently received an Ovation Award and the Canadian Bar Association’s Community Service Award (acknowledging his tireless dedication to working with children and musical theatre). Perry, a composer, pianist, teacher, arranger, producer, adjudicator, writer, and talent coordinator, also directs ShowStoppers, the popular teen-age performance troupe. See www.theimpresario.ca
Perry has assembled an impressive Faculty of professional instructors (including directors, musicians, choreographers, and actors), each working in his or her respective field including:
- Musical director WENDY BROSS STUART ("Crazy for You", "Big: the Musical", "Oklahoma", "Annie Get Your Gun", "Annie" and upcoming "Singing in the Rain" for Theatre Under the Stars; "The Thing About Men" for Presentation House and Arts Club Theatre Company tour; "Company" and "Ruthless" at Waterfront Theatre; "The Last Five Years" at Firehall Arts Centre); composer and arranger
- Jessie award-winning director and actor CHRIS McGREGOR ("The Little Old Man" for Vancouver's International Children's Festival; "Anne", "It's a Wonderful Life", "Treasure Island", "A Christmas Carol", "Gremlin", and "The Wind in the Willows" for Carousel Theatre; World Premiere of "The Soul Menders" in Whitehorse, Yukon and "Risky Nights" for Studio 58); numerous theatre, television, and movie roles
- Choreographer ISABELLE MAHEUX (assistant choreographer for Opening and Closing Ceremonies for Vancouver 2010; "Grease" and "Starmania" at Laval University; "Alladin" and "Cinderella" at Metro Theatre; "Notre-Dame de Paris" at University Ste-Anne Nova Scotia; ShowStoppers and Notre Dame show choir; instructional DVD "So You Wanna Line Dance?")
- Choreographer and director JASON FRANCO ("Can Can" and "Annie" for TUTS; "Sunday in the Park with George" for Applause Musicals; "Casper the Musical" and "The Mask" at Butlin's Family Resorts in United Kingdom; "Beach Blanket Bedrock" and "Jetson's Space Blast" at Paramount Canada's Wonderland; "Wild Party" for Anza Club; ShowStoppers and Notre Dame show choir)
- Choreographer and director VALERIE EASTON (Disney's "Beauty and the Beast", "Les Miserables", "White Christmas", and upcoming "The Buddy Holly Story" at the Stanley Theatre; "West Side Story, "A Chorus Line", and "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" at Royal City; "The Thing About Men" for Presentation House and Arts Club Company tour)
- Musical director BILL SAMPLE (member of the BC Entertainment Hall of Fame; "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" and "Beyond Eden" at the Vancouver Playhouse; international tours of "Cats", "A Chorus Line", "Joseph" featuring Donny Osmond, and "Evita"; composer of numerous scores for TV and film, arranger, producer, and recording artist, including Grammy award-winning "Ratatouille" soundtrack
- Set designer and costume co-ordinator JAY HAVENS (award-winning productions for Carousel Theatre including "More Munsch!", "The Hobbit", "The Big League", and "Silverwing"; Green Thumb Theatre; Cirque du Soleil; University of Fraser Valley: and Vancouver Children's Festival; "Bollywood Wedding" at the Pacific National Exhibition)
- Acting coach and actor JOSH EPSTEIN (star of "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" at the Playhouse Theatre and "The Producers" at the Stanley Theatre; "Little Shop of Horrors" and "British Invasion" at Stage West; national tours of "Studies of Motion" and "The Drowsy Chaperone"; and the Mirvish production of "Lord of the Rings"); playwright and producer
Peter Birnie of
the Vancouver Sun in a recent article commented that the Faculty members “are all teaching in a carefully choreographed nesting of studies that takes place all over the JCC and culminates in a big, brassy show. I try to attend every year, and always come away just as thrilled as the parents and families with the level of talent on display. It is about the joy that comes from singing your lungs out and dancing your hooves off.”
in the Norman Rothstein Theatre will feature an original script and
broad repertoire of music from Broadway and movie musicals.
SCHOOL will again be offered for serious musical theatre students
attending Gotta Sing! Gotta Dance!
THE FINISHING SCHOOL will feature approximately ten sessions from 3:15 to 5:15 PM. Students will receive instruction in audition technique, presentation of monologues and songs, and will participate in intensive dance workshops and encounters with well-known professionals in the theatre community.
SCHOLARSHIPS are available through the generosity of the “Babe Oreck Memorial Fund” and “Phyliss & Irving Snider Foundation” for those with financial need.
For further information about the program, please contact the Jewish Community Centre at (604) 257-5111 or Perry Ehrlich (604) 232-7209 or firstname.lastname@example.org
courtesy of David Zuskind
Our media sponsor